Saturday, September 20, 2008

simplicity...



Breaking it all down to the simplest things sometimes helps me to focus on what's most important.

Looking at this photo reminds me that the leaf covered in water droplets would be all but lost to my eye 'in the big picture.' But, for some reason, that very small leaf did catch my eye, and by focusing in on it, the 'world' surrounding it suddenly becomes a simpler place, and the detail of it, exquisite.

In a way...a respite from the other, larger distractions that keep me from enjoying the singular beauty of water droplets, of the veins on the leaf, of the calming reflections upon the glassy surface of the water. An unexpected moment of shifted perspective, of meditative appreciation in a mass of competing 'visual information.'

And maybe something well worth trying in my own life, when I feel distracted and even overwhelmed by the obvious and 'more urgent' day to day tasks that keep me from noticing the simple, yet truly beautiful, details of what is around me.

No comments: