Sunday, August 10, 2008

Aspen trees



I suppose aspens are the antithesis of 'a darksome wood.' An odd way to start this blog, perhaps--especially since I don't really know what to actually *do* with this blog!

(Chances are, many of my blog entries will be similar to this one--a picture and about a thousand words.)

But what is it about an aspen grove? I took this photo in the Uinta forest, on a trail that wound between slender, stately aspens such as these and brooding, earthy firs and evergreens.

There is something magical about each, but in a different way. 'Quaking aspens' do just that, and at the slightest breeze they seem to whisper secrets amongst themselves, while the light plays against the twirling leaves.

These trees here seemed as a curtain off the trail--a wall of graceful guardians that drew your gaze in and then up to the sky above. And while it's difficult to describe in words the exact feeling of standing in such a grove, if you've never had the chance to walk among the aspens and experience the certain serenity, I highly recommend it.


To listen to the song I composed for this photo, click here.

No comments: